Is Black Mold Hazardous in Your Attic

Black mold, also known by its scientific name, Stachybotrys chartarum, is a toxic mold that is greenish black. It is slimy and gelatinous because of the wet layer in the mold. It needs water source to survive and will turn powdery if the water source is dry up. Some molds look like Stachybotrys chartarum. You can ask a mold expert if you are not sure whether the mold you see in your attic is the toxic black mold.

Black mold is hazardous for your health because it can release a poisonous musty smell like that of a mildew. The toxins that are released by this type of mold is called mycotoxins. The mycotoxins can cause those who inhale the toxic smell to experience symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, headache, fatigue, sneezing, coughing, and hard to breathe. The symptoms can be even more aggravating for children and older people.

Cleaning Up Toxic Mold In Your Home Or Business Tips

The symptoms will also be more serious for people that suffer from asthma, allergy, and weak immune system. The amount of impact the mold has on your health will depend on the level of exposure to the mold. If you notice there are black mold growth in your attic, you must quickly have them removed. If you ignore it, it will spread to even wider area on your attic. Mold can spread very fast and it only take them 2 – 3 days to spread to other areas of your home.

Long term inhaling of the toxic smell from the black mold can cause permanent damage to the internal organ of your health and it can even lead to dead in serious cases. Black mold can grow in your attic if there are enough moisture and nutrients. If you notice black mold in the attic, it is possible that there are leaks in the roof or there are water somewhere in the attic that causes water condensation. The nutrients can be derived from the dust and dirt.

It is very dangerous to attempt to remove the black mold yourself especially if it covers a large area in the attic. It is safe to remove the black mold on your own if it covers an area that is less than 10 square feet. If it spread over more than 10 square feet, you should get a professional mold removal and remediation services to do the job. Getting rid of the mold yourself can be dangerous if you are inexperienced at handling it. There will be a large amount of spores flying in the atmosphere as you attempt to remove it. These spores can enter into your body and worsen the symptoms that you are already experiencing. The professional is well trained and has the right tools to detect and remove the mold.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *